“Racial equity is not a project; it is the foundation of DCLT’s identity.”
– Lanier Blum, Interim Manager of Residential Development
Durham Community Land Trustees (DCLT) is a community land trust that builds strong communities by developing, managing, and advocating for permanent affordable housing that offers Durham residents with low and moderate incomes a stable foundation for achieving economic security in Durham, NC.
DCLT was established by neighborhood residents of the West End who demanded better housing conditions.
To us, there is no single issue greater than affordable housing.
- We are community-controlled; the majority of our board of directors are neighbors, homeowners and residents.
- We develop and manage homes for sale and for rent because our neighbors demand both.
- We build strong partnerships with the city of Durham and other nonprofits to develop special-needs rental housing that can provide safe and affordable homes to individuals living with sickle cell anemia, HIV, and mental illness. We also build affordable houses for veterans and seniors.
- We renovate abandoned houses in partnership with residents and local, regional and national organizations to create tangible, physical improvements for the community.
- We construct energy efficient homes to dramatically reduce tenants’ utility bills.
- We prioritize relocating our current residents when needing to rehab their homes, and selling to our residents whenever possible.